Header

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

A Stairwell to Heaven: Climbing the Dome of St. Peter's Basilica

A stunning panoramic view captured and shared by a friend

Early in the morning, I arrived at St. Peter's Basilica. My first priority was to climb the dome⭐⭐. There was a line, but it wasn't too long, and I only had to wait about 15 minutes.

As I ascended, a Japanese girl joined me and eventually overtook me

To climb the dome, you have two options: walk on foot or take the elevator. Everyone in front of me chose the elevator, but I decided to climb the stairs. At first, I was alone, but then a young Japanese girl joined me and eventually passed me.

The first leg of the climb wasn't too bad, but the second leg was brutal. Lots of people take the elevator to the middle for the first leg, then climb the stairs to the summit. There was a tour group in front of me, and I gradually fell behind, except for one girl who kept asking her friends if they were there yet.

At first, there was a handrail, but at the end, it was just a single rope to hold onto

By this point, I was exhausted and could have given up at any time. But after a short rest, I kept going and finally made it to the top. The stairs narrowed and spiraled as I got closer to the top, and eventually became so narrow that I had to bend sideways. At first, there was a handrail, but at the end, it was just a single rope to hold onto. If you're not in good shape, the climb could be a real challenge.

But the view from the top was worth it. I could see the entire basilica below me, as well as the surrounding city and countryside. It was crowded, but I was able to find a good spot to lean against the railing and enjoy the view.

Photo Gallery


These photos were taken on a sunny day, October 26, 2023. They capture the journey from waiting at the ticket office, ascending to the middle level, passing beneath the dome, climbing the second leg, and finally reaching the summit.

There are 13 statues (right) on top of St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City



Ascending the first leg

A closer look at some of the 13 statues


13 statues adorn the summit of St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, with Jesus Christ presiding at their center

Gazing up at the dome, we embark on the challenging second leg of the ascent




Intricacies of the Majestic Dome: A Close-Up View

The dome's interior adorned with intricate mosaic work depicting scenes from the life of Christ and the saints

Angel mosaic in the cupola (Dome ceiling)


Mosaic of St. John

Mosaic of St. Matthew

Palace of the Governorate





Descending via a different path

References

  1. The Upper Mosaics of St Peter's—The Cupola and the Evangelists

No comments:

Post a Comment