Header

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Hasedera (長谷寺): A Hidden Gem Near Nara

Visiting Hasedera (長谷寺) near Nara (YouTube link)


Inspired by this video, I've decided to visit Hasedera (長谷寺⭐⭐) , one of Nara's famous flower temples. From the photos online, Hasedera looks even more stunning in springtime with its blooming flowers. But even in autumn, you can be rewarded with memorable views of the changing leaves, depending on the timing of your visit.

I visited Hasedera Temple on December 4, 2016, a rainy day. I had missed the peak autumn colors by about two weeks, but as the video title suggests, Hasedera offers tranquility and stunning views of its covered walkways, buildings, and Buddha statue, regardless of the season.


Stairs to the Main Hall (本堂)








Main Hall (本堂)







Nice Restaurant in Town Area


For travelers on the road, finding a lovely restaurant to rest and relax is a truly rewarding experience. Luckily, on the day of my visit to Hasedera Temple, I stumbled upon a beautiful restaurant in the nearby town area. I would say it was the most beautiful restaurant I had ever visited during my 12-day trip to Japan in December 2016.

Kneeling down on the tatami mats and surrounded by a stunning garden, I decided to reward myself with a local dish called にゅうめん (nyuumen).

Nyuumen is a type of somen noodles from Miwa, Japan. They are thin as a thread and white as snow. They are eaten with seasonal vegetables in both summer and winter. In summer, they are eaten cold, and in winter, they are eaten in warm broth.

My order also came with kaki no hazushi (かきの葉ずし or 柿の葉すし), which is made with rice seasoned with vinegar and topped with slices of salmon or salted mackerel. The mackerel used in this dish is prepared according to a special secret method, which is why kaki no hazushi is only available in Nara.

Finally, I ordered a Japanese sake to warm up on that cold rainy day. I fell in love with sake after tasting it for the first time on Koyasan.[5,6] It has a sweet taste and a fragrant aroma, and best of all, it didn't give me a hangover the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment