In this article, we will cover tax refunds when you shop at a department store.
Layout of Department Stores in Japan
The floor plans of Department Stores in Japan look similar:
- Top floor
- Basement (デパ地下 / デパちか / depachika )
- Fountain effect (shown in the diagram above)
- if customers start visiting food shops first
- Shower effect
- if customers start eating at restaurants first
As a foreigner visiting Japan, you are eligible for tax refunds on some non-consumable items. You can get more information below. This information (downloaded on 06/09/2016) was posted on the web site of Takashimaya Department Store (Kyoto). This Department Store charges 1.1% handling fee on the price of the product subject to tax exemption.
To get tax refunds, you need to use your passport. Note that it is also a legal requirement that you carry your passport with you at all times as a foreign national in Japan. Finally, you should apply for a credit card that charges no transaction fee on foreign purchases.
- Tips: Traveling in Japan (Travel for a Purpose)
- Duty free shopping in Osaka
- Takashimaya Department Store (Kyoto Store)
- BEGIN Japanology - Department Stores (video)
- 7 Recommended Items from JR Kyoto Station’s Isetan Depachika Food Floor
- At the JR Kyoto Isetan depachika, you can try these 7 shops that offer the tastes of Kyoto and its surroundings