Header

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Tenzan Onsen: A Hakone Treasure Unveiled ― My Personal Experience

箱根 天山湯治郷 (YouTube link)

SHINFURO:Synchronized Swimming in Hot Springs (YouTube link)

Hakone Onsen


Hakone (箱根) is one of the most popular onsen (hot spring) towns and has a history of 1200 years. Visitors can enjoy a hot spring bath in public bath houses or ryokan. Many ryokan open their baths not only to staying guests but also to daytime visitors. While staying guests can use the baths for free, daytime visitors pay an admission fee of typically between ¥500 and ¥2000.

Waiting area (まちあい / 待合)

View from the waiting area

Personal Experience


On 11/19/2018, I have decided to spend the day on a hot spring bath at Tenzan (天山⭐⭐) because it was raining.  As usual, you are not supposed to take pictures or video inside the bath.  I'll just refer you to Tenzan's official web page to see what to expect at the bath.  The pictures on their web site are exactly you would experience if you were there.

My impression at the bath was speechless with amazement.  The surrounding landscape was so beautiful with a surreal feeling.  Therefore, I had managed to stay inside the bath as long as I could stand.  Note that the high temperature could kill you if you have high blood pressure.  So, ask for your doctor's advice before you try the hot spring bath if you have high blood pressure or other heart-related issues.

After the bath, I had stayed on a stretcher at the patio (see photo above) reading my eBook on Kindle device.  After the bath, you feel totally relaxed and calm.  Some seniors sleep on the tatami inside the door for a nap.  Others like me sit outside to enjoy the nature and fresh air at the patio.  

Rakuten dining area (食事処「楽天」)

View from the Dining area

View from the Dining area

Special dish (deep fried local river shrimps)

Teishoku Set Meal 

Teishoku Set Meal (2nd day)

Teishoku Set Meal (2nd day)

At around 11 am, the restaurant (see Figure 2) at Tenzan bath opened and I went to dine over there.  Restaurant is a traditional Japanese-style restaurant (i.e., sitting on tatami).  My dining room had a window overlooking a creek and nearby hills.  The view was so green and refreshing.  While waiting for the meal, I just sat there and enjoyed the scenery.

The foods at Tenzan's restaurant was so delicious that I really enjoyed it.  My bento set included mainly vegetables and I had ordered a side dish with it―fried shrimps.  The shrimps, I guess, was caught locally (maybe from the Lake Ashi) were very fresh.  They were tiny and their shells were so tendered after fried.  So, you can just eat them as is (i.e., not peeling off the shells).  I chewed them carefully and eventually the whole crispy shrimp melted away in my mouth.  What you have tasted is pure freshness.  

This onsen experience is different from my previous onsen experience at Ohara.[2]  Both are so memorable that the sensation they have aroused will forever imprinted in my mind.

How to wear Yukata for men (YouTube link)

References

  1. Japan Travel―Visiting Hakone for Onsen Experience
  2. Visiting Ohara in Kyoto—Personal Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment